Wednesday, May 11, 2011

One pot meals :)

I am a big fan of one pot meals - especially soups! You can basically make soup out of anything (well..almost anything :)
Below is a recipe for a soup I've made many times for friends and family.

Tomato Parmesan Soup

1 28oz can of whole, peeled tomatoes (no specific brand)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 medium onion
Dash of Italian seasoning (really any herbs will do - use what you like)
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour (all purpose is fine)
32 oz of Chicken stock
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
S&P to taste

Dice onion and crush garlic. Place in a large stock pot with stick of butter, over medium heat, then add your seasonings. Let the onions saute until clear, then whisk in flour to make a roux. (Roux = butter + flour). Whisk continually for one minute to let the flour cook, then whisk in 32oz of chicken stock. Add the entire can of whole tomatoes - juice and all. Then use a hand blender to emulsify the ingredients. The tomatoes will get blended in with the onions into a smooth mixture. Let simmer for another 10 min and then remove from heat. Add the cream and parmesan last, while the pot is removed from the burner.
You can always substitute half & half instead of using heavy cream...or low fat parmesan. I've made it both ways and it is still tasty!

8 comments:

  1. This blog makes me SO hungry! Love the one pot meals also. My favorite aunt always says her cooking is limited to five ingredients and one bowl, and everything is always great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet Tiffany (its Meliss).....I'll post another one pot meal..chicken and rice...super easy and will keep in the fridge for easy leftovers too :)
    I'm enjoying reading your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was just going to say that you have to use butter for this recipe. I tried it with margarine and also with smart balance (in the plastic tub) and it does not turn out the same. If you think about it, this makes so many servings that you're only having about 1/2 - 1 T of butter in 1 serving. Sometimes you gotta use the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have messed up many good meals trying to use smart balance :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this soup! It's a favorite of mine. I haven't made it myself yet, but I've enjoyed Meliss's version many times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, it's Mom, posting a comment under Sandy's google ID....LOVE THE BLOG! You girls make me cry, but they are good happy tears. I am so glad that we have so much fun in the kitchen together! AND I will try not to "tell you what to do", ha, ha, if you can believe that one....
    Keep up the good bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mamby fixed this recipe for us on her anniversary weekend. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Liz! I forgot that I made it for my fellow Cranes for our anniversary lunch! This recipe is so good that even the boys like it!


    Mom - thank you for FINALLY checking out the blog! I am so thrilled that you like it! You're our inspiration, Nancy Crocker Stewart!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete