Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Gouda To Go!

Sunday night we tried a new recipe for burgers on the grill.  "Bacon-Bit Burgers with Smoked Gouda" were featured as the burger of the month in one of my Rachael Ray magazines that I've had for YEARS!  Literally, YEARS!  I am in the process of weeding through my food magazines that I have been keeping since 2006.  I found my stash upstairs in the office a few months ago and couldn't believe that I let it get that out of control.  I have committed to going through each magazine (I've made it about 1/3 of the way though), ripping out anything that I think I'd cook, placing it in my recipe binder, and then cooking it.  If it's good it can stay in the binder and if we don't like, we're clipping it!  Well friends, this was a keeper!  I wish I had a taken a picture of the deliciousness!

6 slices of bacon
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 and 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
1 tbsp McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning
1 egg, beaten (the original recipe does not call for an egg but I added it)
sliced smoked Gouda cheese
hamburger rolls

Cook the bacon and then place on paper towels to drain the fat.  When the bacon has cooled chop it into bits.  Then cook the onions until the are translucent in the olive oil.  Combine the ground sirloin, egg, worcestershire sauce, grill seasoning, cooked onions, and bacon-bits.  Divide the meat into 4-6 patties (depending on the desired size of your burger) and then grill.  Once the burgers are almost done, place a slice of the smoked Gouda on top and melt.  Remove the burgers and then place the buns on the grill to toast. 
*Note: The burgers in the magazine were topped with smothered onions mixed with A1 steak sauce.  I chose to omit this.  They were also cooked in a pan on the stove.  You can do this if you don't want to fire up the grill.  If you cook them inside you can turn on the broiler, place 1 cheese slice on the top of the bun, and broil until the cheese is melted.*

2 comments:

  1. If you would like to read the original recipe (as opposed to my abbreviated and altered version) here is the link:
    http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=1600

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am VERY suprised that you are a secret magazine hoarder!! That means you actually do have something in common with Mom and me :)
    Thankfully, your magazines have a delicious anecdote! Love you!

    ReplyDelete