Saturday, May 7, 2011

Butter, Bacon, or Ranch?

Those are the three ingredients that my husband says could be added to any dish and it would automatically be better!  Well, I've learned over the past 6+ years that he was right!  He's also been known to say on more than one occasion, "Everything is better with bacon".  Mom only used butter at home when baking.  She also made homemade "Italian" dressing (olive oil, red wine vinegar, seasoned salt, pepper, and oregano) every night.  We only ate bottled salad dressings at restaurants or at a friend's house. A few years into dating Frank admitted to me that he'd been scouring the frig for a bottle of ranch dressing.  I laughed and later told Mom about his years of searching for a good ole bottle of ranch! The next time we were home she had a bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch ready for him. ;)  Bacon is almost always on hand in Mom's frig and most Saturday mornings you can find my Dad frying up at least a pound of it!

The first time I ever cooked for Frank I made us this yummy pasta dish and a homemade salad.  At this time, I did not know that he only preferred ranch dressing!  I made a spicy sausage pasta along with a "crunchy salad".  This salad is loaded with several delicious sweet, salty, and crunchy ingredients.  One of the stars is bacon!  I made the salad and Frank gobbled it all up! 

Here is the recipe for the "Whitehouse Plantation Crunchy Salad" (I do not know who is the original author, but I will give credit where credit is due.  I got this recipe from Mom after it was served at one of our neighborhood supper clubs.)

1 head of iceburg lettuce, chopped
3/4 cup chow mein noodles
1/3 cup slivered almonds
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup white sesame seeds
6 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped

Dressing:
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine the sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a food processor (or blender).  Slowly pour in the oil to emulsify.  Toss with all of the salad ingredients.  ENJOY!

Mamby

3 comments:

  1. Yay Girls!! I love you and I love food, so you know I'm gonna love this blog! I'm officially a "follower" now and will stalk you on the regular. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Goils...I too am now a follower...what a wonderful Mother's Day gift--a blog honoring your mom's cooking and all she's taught you. My heart is full. I love you all...having eaten numerous meals cooked by Skillings/Cranes, I can't think of a better blog for you to write. BRAVO (and hugs)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! You guys are too sweet! So glad that we have some followers! We're happy to share our good eats!

    ReplyDelete