Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From scatch (well, sort of!)...

I was making my own chicken stock tonight and thought I'd share a quick tip I read a few weeks ago:  Freeze your homemade chicken stock in ice cube trays.  How clever!  This way you can pop out the frozen cubes and stick them all in a ziploc bag in the freezer.  The next time you need the stock you just pull out a few cubes (eyeball the amount needed).  This is much easier than freezing it in a huge container. 


Here is the recipe I frequently use for chicken stock.  Mom used to boil her own chicken, etc.  I didn't have time for that today!  I also think that if I spend the money on the rotisserie chicken at the grocery store I should use it for all it's worth!  This is my adaptation of what Mom taught me years ago:

all of the bones from 1 rotisserie chicken
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 celery stalks, cut into chunks (the leafy celery greens are ok too)
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 small onion, quartered
a few dashes of dried Italian seasoning
a little S & P

Place all of the ingredients in a stock pot and cover with 6 cups of water.  Boil for 45 minutes on medium-medium high (my stove has numbers on the dial so I cooked it on #6).  Allow it to cool for a while and skim off any fat.  Strain the broth into a large bowl.  Pour into ice cube trays or into your desired storage container and freeze.

Mamby

4 comments:

  1. Yum yum - Mamby is much braver than I am at making homemade stock :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I haven't been to the grocery since well before yall started this blog (yes, do the math, it is sad). BUT, as soon as I do get there I am trying some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what you would use chicken stock for! ha. Poor John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will probably never make homemade stock because I'm lazy! But...it's good to know how should I ever decide to channel my inner Julia Child.

    ReplyDelete