Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hot off the grill!

Frank recevied a "Big Green Egg" from our good friends, The Christies, as his wedding present.  I chuckled when Cole gave it to him and looked at me and said, "Sorry, Amanda"!  I guess they thought in some way that I would be disappointed that they weren't giving me a set of my fine china!  Absolutely not!  I have reaped the benefits of his gift ever since!  We have gotten more use out of this grill than I can even count. 


Last summer we started a Sunday night grilling tradition with Matt & Rachel.  Each week we challenged ourselves to trying new and often inventive dinners.  I think the only thing we haven't grilled on it so far is a pizza!  Here is a recipe for my flank steak.  Flank steak is a cheaper cut of meat, but when cooked right it can be delicious!  This also makes great leftover steak sandwiches!

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use light soy)
1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 lb flank steak

Mix the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.  Place the flank steak in a gallon sized ziploc bag.  Pour the marinade over the steak and keep it in the frig at least 4 hours or up to overnight.  Grill the steak to desired temperature.  *For nights when I am cooking inside, I've also broiled this steak in the oven for 3-4 minutes per side*  Allow the meat to rest for at least 5 minutes and then thinly slice across the grain.  (Just a side note: You have to slice it across the grain or the meat will be tough)

1 comment:

  1. My mom makes an amazing flank steak (probably similar to this recipe). I've never been brave enough to try it, but I need to. Next time I come to Athens, I'm requesting a Big Green Egg meal!

    ReplyDelete