Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chicken and Rice :)

As I said, I'm a huge fan of one pot meals...This one is a favorite of mine, and will also keep in the fridge for a few days - great for leftovers :)

Chicken and Rice

1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 cans of all white meat chicken (Swanson is a good brand)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
32 oz chicken stock
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 bag of Ben's 90 second microwaveable rice

Combine onion, celery, carrot, garlic and butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Let simmer for about 5-7 minutes, until the veggies begin to soften. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in chicken stock. Add canned chicken and lemon juice, then bring to a boil for about 5-7 minutes. Microwave the rice and add it at the end. Use salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be thick, like a stew...Add oyster crackers and a dash of hot sauce to each bowl - yummy!
This is super easy and tasty. You can use fresh chicken if you like, but since this recipe combines all the ingredients, the canned stuff is fine. Also, I only buy microwaveable rice because I'm a dummy when it comes to cooking regular rice:)

Best Dishes!

3 comments:

  1. I love a good micowave rice! This sounds good. I was saying to Austin this morning that I needed some new, easy things to cook for dinners. I get in a cooking dinner rut.

    I forgot to look here for some new ideas. Duh!

    This is from Olivia:
    /00002QZAZZZZCA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda and Melissa,
    So excited about your new blog. I am always in need of new tried and true recipes.

    Amanda, great to be with you and III this weekend!

    Melissa, hope to see you soon!

    Cheers!
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali - this is one of Melissa's "go-to meals" and although I haven't tried it yet, she tells me all the time how awesome it is!

    Kyle - thanks for signing up to follow us! More than anything, this page is pure fun for us! I don't have a creative bone in my body so cooking is my way to express creativity. =) I hope that you enjoy it!

    Let us know when/if you try our recipes and how they turn out!
    Mamby

    ReplyDelete