Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My carb fix

It's no secret that I love, love, LOVE pasta!  I love it so much that I have to consciously try to cook it only once or twice per month.  I would eat pasta several times per week and gladly choose it over rice or potatoes.  I can't explain why, but pasta is my comfort food.  While a red or white sauce is delicious, I have grown to like pastas that are sauce-free.  Sounds weird, but it's good!  I like to actually taste all of the love that I've thrown into the pan and not feel like I'm eating a gigantic bite of marinara. 

A few years ago I had dinner at my friend Jen's house.  She made us this pasta with turkey sausage and a bunch of other fresh ingredients with no sauce.  I took her idea and have made my own version.  If you've ever watched Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals you'll hear her say she loves what she calls "Go to meals".  These are meals that are guaranteed to be good over and over again.  (I think that her voice is super annoying and prefer to watch her on mute!)  Well, this is my "Go to meal".  You can substitute the green veggie with whatever you have on hand (cooked broccoli, asparagus, bell pepper, etc).  I've also substituted the roasted red peppers with grape tomatoes.  This a great way to clean out your crisper drawer in the frig and pack in some fresh veggies!

1 package Italian sausage links
1 small container pre-sliced mushrooms (button or baby bellas)
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jar of roasted red peppers, sliced (packed in water)
1 bag of fresh spinach
1 pound rotini or bowtie pasta
Fresh parmesean cheese
2 T olive oil
S & P
Red pepper flakes (optional)

Start a large pot of water boiling and cook/drain the pasta according to the package directions. 

While the pasta water heats and while the pasta cooks: brown the Italian sausage in a large 12 inch skillet (with a "lip" or high edge) and drain the fat.  Wipe out the skillet to remove any excess fat.  Using the same skillet, saute the mushrooms in the olive oil.  When the mushrooms are cooked about halfway, add the garlic and onions.  Saute for 5 minutes.  Add salt & pepper to taste, red pepper flakes, roasted red peppers, and the entire bag of spinach.  Allow the spinach to wilt and then add the cooked sausage.  Add the cooked pasta to the meat/veggie mix and toss to evenly combine.  Serve and top with some freshly shredded parm. 

Mamby

4 comments:

  1. LOVE it! And love Meliss' post from yesterday. I can not wait to try some of these!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm!! reminds me of the old Ewok Eggs and Chewbacca's Chicken and Cous Cous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stormy! Say hello to Luke, Leia & Obi!

    ReplyDelete