Sunday, December 11, 2011

"Don't you ever make a Stouffer's?"

That's what my friend, Teresa, said to me a few years back!  I was just starting to cook regular dinners for Frank and myself and I felt a lot of pressure to make every meal extraordinary.  I guess that's because I remember having home cooked food each night at home growing up.  We rarely ate fast food and were ecstatic when Mom would take us to the grocery store and let us pick out a TV dinner.  That seemed like the biggest treat in the world!  Believe it or not, I got really frustrated with the effort and now I have resorted to some canned vegetables and boxed side dishes!  Well, tonight is going to be one of those nights!  With Frank working past 7:00 on Sunday now that the holidays are in full swing and today being my "catch-up" day, frozen Stouffer's lasagna is on the menu!  I cooked a LOT last week and somehow managed to never blog.  I wonder what my siblings have been cooking (since no one has offered up any recipes on the blog)? 

Along with the frozen entree I will throw together a salad and some bread.  Pretty basic!  I thought I'd share my sherry vinaigrette recipe today.  If you're brave then you can eye-ball it (that's what I do)!  This can be kept in the frig for a few days too in a jar! 

1 shallot, finely sliced
4 T EVOO
2 T sherry vinegar
dash of salt and pepper
a squirt of dijon mustard
a squirt of honey
some basil (fresh is better, but a few dashes of dried will do too)

Mix everything except the EVOO in a small bowl.  Slowly stream in the EVOO and emulsify with a whisk.  Taste and add more honey if it is too tart from the vinegar or add more vinegar if it is too sweet.  Add to your favorite mixed greens. 

1 comment:

  1. I know everyone hates when people say this, but just wait til you have a kid! You will NEVER feel like cooking and feel even pressue to do so because you want your child to have a balanced diet. Give yourself a break. I love a good frozen meal. :) And I love you!

    ReplyDelete