Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Butternut Squash

Butternut goodness! 

This Fall I got bored with my usual veggies and tried a butternut squash.  I wish I could say it was because I was feeling adventurous, but I wasn't!  I bought it on sale and figured that if I liked it I did, and if I didn't, oh well!  My friend, Sarah, is an amazing cook and dietician.  She gave me some pointers on how to prepare and cook the squash.  When she said that they were tough to peel she wasn't lying!  Peeling that thing brought new meaning to the phrase, "Will work for food"!  The skin on them was a beast!  After peeling the squash I scooped out the seeds with a spoon, cubed it into even pieces, and placed in a large mixing bowl.  Eyeball the rest of the ingredients:  olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg (about 1/4 tsp), and cinnamon (about 1/2 tsp).  Toss it all together and place on a lined baking sheet.  Bake at 400 for about 30-40 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender.  Top with some generous sprinkles of brown sugar and bake for about 5-10 more minutes.  The result is perfection! 


Pre-cooking



Playing with a camera setting called "Toy Camera"







1 comment:

  1. Looks DELISH...I watched Austin peel a butternut squash once, and it made me never want to do it. This recipe might make me change my mind though. YUM!

    ReplyDelete