Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gameday Grub


As most of you know, yesterday was a very important day for Dawg fans across the South.  It was the first homegame of the 2011 football season.  Although the game didn't end how we would have liked, the food and fun made up for the loss!  Frank and I hosted our good friends, Brian & Jennifer, for the weekend.  They were in town from Alabama for the game and also brought their children over for part of the morning.  We were later joined by Brent & Jordan and Byerly & Cole.  The boys had Stricklands for breakfast and I made a Tomato Tartlet for the ladies.  I actually forgot to take the picture when it first came out of the oven, so here it is minus my piece! I have served this at many baby and bridal showers and it's always a hit!  It's also a good addition to any brunch you might have.   


1 frozen unbaked pie crust
3 eggs
3-4 tomatoes, sliced
1 T of basil pesto (I like to use Classico)
4 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese
4 oz of feta
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
onion powder
pepper

Preheat the oven to 375.  Mix the eggs, pesto, mozzarella cheese, onion powder, parsley, and pepper in a small bowl.  Place 1/2 the tomatoes in a single layer in the pie shell.  Pour half of the egg/pesto mixture over the tomatoes and then top with 1/2 of the feta.  Repeat this for the second layer.  Bake 35-40 minutes.  *If you don't like parsley you can always substitute a few dashes of Italian seasoning*

Since it was an afternoon game Frank cooked up some 4 Star sausage and 3 racks of his delicious ribs.  You'll have to ask him to explain his method and grilling secrets!  I know that he used a rub made by Southern Way Groumet (in Whitesburg, GA) named "James Do All" and some fresh cracked pepper.  We used BBQ sauce from our favorite local BBQ place "Jot Em Down". 






4 comments:

  1. Looks good! Sorry about the way the game turned out. Believe it or not, I was hoping you guys would win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jelly!! LOVE your tomato tartlett!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hesitate to post a comment about Frank's sausage for obvious reasons... but it really is one of my favorite foods of all time. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete