Thursday, June 30, 2011

Easy Weeknight Dinner

After a 10 hour day I was not very excited about cooking dinner tonight.  That was until I talked  to my good college friend, Katie (McGreevy) Rannou.  Katie loves cooking as much as I do!  She is a fantastic cook/baker and is always whipping something delicious up in her kitchen.  We met in 2003 at UGA and have enjoyed sharing our recipes ever since!  She emailed me a flank steak marinade recipe earlier in the week and I used it tonight on a whim.  Let me tell ya, it was fantastic!  I took one of her tips and made extra marinade and reduced it on the stove for a quick sauce.  Although the recipe says marinate for at least 3 hours, she assured me 1 hour was sufficient since I was in a pinch.  I served it with some fresh green beans.  This is definitely going in my recipe binder! 


1 Flank Steak (1.25 pounds)
1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 inch piece of fresh ginger (or 1 tsp of ground ginger if you don't have fresh)
1/2 tsp wasabi powder

Combine marinade and steak in a ziploc bag and marinate for at least 3 hours.  Grill to desired temperature or broil on high for 5 minutes per side.  Allow meat to rest before slicing across the grain. 

For the Beans:
1-2 pounds of fresh green beans, stemmed
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 t EVOO

Blanch the green beans for 2-3 minutes in a shallow pan.  Drain and put them back into the hot pan.  Cook with EVOO for a few minutes.  Add the garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.

Mangia! 

1 comment:

  1. I want to know where you got that cute lil container that the sauce was in :)
    Great recipe idea!

    ReplyDelete