Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cuban Sandwich


A sandwich de cubano is a classic sandwich of the Cuban immigrant communities of Florida.  Its secret is its simplicity – just layers slices of ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard on Cuban bread.  Compress the sandwich in a hot sandwich press until the cheese melts and – viola -  you are in for a treat… we’ve found these are especially satisfying in the Keys!!  (disclaimer –  we don’t even try to make this ourselves and all the credit goes to the Sunshine Market and the ladies that work there)
For some added dining pleasure, add a few sides of papas rellenas, black beans and rice, and fried bananas… YUM.

3 comments:

  1. This picture makes me so happy and sad all at the same time. It makes me happy because I can think back on all the fun times down in the keys and all the times I've enjoyed that EXACT plate!

    I'm so sad though that we're not there to play this year.

    I hope you guys are having an absolute BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Yum...I can taste the Sunshine (or whatever the new name is) food as I read this.

    So sad we are not there, but hopefully, next year!

    ReplyDelete