Sunday, January 20, 2013

Mission Possible: Operation Freezer

Last weekend we were forced to unplug and clean out our big freezer in the garage.  This left us with the "oh so fun" task of pulling out all of the frozen food we had in there.  I regularly buy things that are on sale at the grocery and stick them in the freezer with the good intentions of using them up quickly....or in this case, not so quickly!  Since the kitchen is my domain Frank has no idea what I have in there.  This was kind of like a game of "lost and found"!  I got a few looks from him that were hilarious!  Here's a quick list of some of the things we discovered frozen:  lobster tails from the Keys, a pork tenderloin, mahi-mahi, ground buffalo, Brunswick stew, ground pork, pork chops, bacon, a whole chicken, frog legs (ewwwww!), crab cakes, a lasagna, homemade chicken and ham stock, a brisket,  ham bones, pheasant, and deer jerky.  *Note: the pheasant, deer jerky, and frog legs were gifts from my Dad to Frank*

So I gave myself a challenge:  buy only the necessities and the grocery store to accompany my freezer finds.  Thus far I have managed to only spend ~$70 on food for 2 weeks!  We have used up the lasagna, Brunswick stew, and pork chops.  This week I am trying out a roasted chicken recipe, the pork tenderloin, and we may even squeeze in a buffalo burger.  I found this roasted chicken recipe that looked very easy: 

Picture of Lemon And Herb Roasted Chicken With Baby Potatoes Recipe


http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/lemon-and-herb-roasted-chicken-with-baby-potatoes-recipe/index.html


I hope that this post inspires you to look inside your frig, freezer, and pantry and go through all of the things that you have stored up!  And if any of you want some pheasant, frog legs, or deer jerky I am happy to share!  :-D

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea: go through the freezer, fridge and pantry! Fortunately, I live with Mike, who clears out the fridge every week before garbage day and recently went through the pantry (and found expired CANS!--which takes some doing since cans mostly last forever!). So proud of you for doing this!!!

    ReplyDelete