Saturday, February 11, 2012

Easy Turnovers



Last fall we were at the Farm for a quick visit and Mom & Dad had a few dinner guests.  Most of you who know me know that I do not have a sweet tooth and rarely bake.  If I am baking I'm usually with my Mom (who LOVES to bake, mostly from scratch, and finds it therapeutic).  I can almost guarantee you that my baking is straight out of a box!  I think the fanciest thing I've ever baked was some boxed brownies that I stirred some raspberry jam into before I baked it.  That actually turned out really good!  I do not enjoy baking...mostly because I am impatient and it takes time. =)

Back to my story...they had friends over and somehow or another I managed to pull a dessert out of left field.  Not completely from scratch, but close enough if you ask me since I didn't use a box!  Here's what I did for some quick and easy apple turnovers:

2 apples (preferable Granny Smith) sliced thin
butter
sugar
nutmeg
cinnamon
Frozen puff pastry sheets (thawed)

Saute the apples in the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until softened.  You'll have to eye ball the nutmeg and cinnamon.  Start with a little and then taste to see if you need more.  Lay out the puff pastry on your kitchen counter and cut into squares.  Place some of the apple mixture on the puff pastry and then fold into triangles.  Use a fork to seal the edges.  Place on a lined baking sheet and bake according to the directions on the puff pastry package.  I also think we topped them with a little melted butter.  =)  When they were done Mom made a quick icing from confectioner's sugar and drizzled it over them.  Don't forget the Breyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream!  I also managed to eat one of these for breakfast the next day and they were pretty good leftover!     

We ran out of icing before we got to the poor little pastry on the top left!

No comments:

Post a Comment