Thursday, February 16, 2012

The dollar menu

Sunday is my grocery shopping day.  I was stretching for a cheap, quick, and easy Monday meal.   While rummaging through the crisper I found a green bell pepper and part of a yellow onion.  I remembered that I had some frozen chicken sausages in the garage freezer too.  I bought a pack of hoagies at Kroger and voila!  I made a dinner for about $1.15 per serving!  Here's my cost breakdown:  

*The sausages are about .80 each ($12 for 15 of them at Sam's Club.  They come in 3 packs of 5 sausages each).  There are several different varieties and we've grown to love the roasted garlic and mozzarella flavor.  :)
*You can't get much cheaper than bell peppers and onions (about .89 for the pepper and roughly .25 per 1/2 onion)
*The buns were an exceptional buy for .79 (1/2 off regular price!)

I sauteed the peppers and onions in 1 pan and cooked the sausages in another.  That's it!  I forgot to take pictures, but I can assure you they were delicious!  Sausage, pepper, and onion "dawgs" are about as easy as you can get!  Next time you are in a pinch think about skipping the dollar menu at McDonalds and Wendys!  Your waist and your wallet will thank you later!  ;)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment