Sunday, January 15, 2012

Small Town Goodness

Small Town Goodness is the little cookbook that Culloden, GA put out in 2009.  Mom worked hours and hours on it helping get all of the recipes typed up in time to print.  I think some of you who read this blog even made contributions to the cookbook.  That year she gave me a copy for Christmas.  Lately I've been in a dinner rut.  I called my friend and fellow foodie, Ali, who was unfortunately experiencing the same thing!  I thumbed through the Culloden cookbook hoping to find some sort of inspiration for this week.  Luckily our dear friend (and former owner of the Farm), Nanny C Haygood, came to the rescue!  She is 98 years old, has lived in the Culloden, GA area almost her entire life, and is a true Georgia peach!  I can think of some good one-liners she's said to us over the years...most of which I can't repeat on this blog!  ;-)  Tonight I am making her "Broccoli & Chicken Casserole".  This is really similar to Rachel's "Aunt Glad's Chicken Divan" and equally as delicious!  Here's Nanny C's recipe:

1 package of Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing mix
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) melted
2 can cream of chicken
1 cup mayo
1 tsp lemon juice
3 packages of frozen broccoli (10 oz each), cooked
5 large chicken breasts, cooked and finely chopped
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Brown stuffing mix in butter in large skillet.  Blend soup, mayonnaise, and lemon juice in a small bowl.  Layer broccoli, chicken, and soup mixture in a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish.  Sprinkle with stuffind mix, top with cheese.  Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. 



*Note: this recipe makes a LOT of food.  I cut it in half using 3 chicken breasts.  Nanny C also suggests making the whole dish and separating it into 2 pans.  You can cook one and freeze the other!  Thaw completely before baking. 

One of the things I love about cooking is you can take a recipe and make it your own!  I used low fat cream of chicken and 2% milk cheese to save some of the fat.  I forgot to buy the stuffing mix at the store and was in a pinch tonight.  I took some frozen ciabatta bread out of the freezer, cubed it, and sprinkled it with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, dried oregano, and dried basil.  Bake or broil them until brown and then use them to top the casserole!  I hope Nanny C would be proud! 

2 comments:

  1. Of course Nanny C would be proud! She'd love your version! Sorry I couldn't have been more help. I made spaghetti tonight...delish, but boring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! This was really easy and made good leftovers. I thought of something easier than boiling your own chicken breasts. Use a rotisserie chicken. Maybe I can be of some help for you to get out of your rut!

    ReplyDelete