Sunday, October 16, 2011

Easy Sunday supper

Whenever I see someone on the food network making pork chops and apples/applesauce I always look at it and think, "There's no way that can be good".  Seriously!  The whole "you eat with your eyes first" theory does not make me want to eat it.  That was until I discovered this recipe in my "Fast Fix Family Food" cookbook.  A friend borrowed it and then told me about some of the recipes she tried.  If someone wouldn't have convinced me to try it I probably would never have given it a another look.  Well, tonight was the second time I've made it, so I guess it's a hit!  This was really easy (took about 20 minutes start to finish) and delicious.  I altered the recipe slightly and used a Granny Smith apple instead of a red apple (last time I just used a McIntosh red apple).  The Granny Smith is the way to go!  This meal is surprisingly healthy with 250 calories per serving! 

Apple-Pecan Pork Chops
4 boneless pork loin chops (about 4 oz each)
2 T butter
1 medium apple, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 T packed brown sugar
salt & pepper

Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper then set aside.  In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Add apple and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.  Move the apple to the side of skillet.  Add pork chops and cook for 4 minutes.  Flip the chops and spoon the apple over the top of them.  Sprinkle with pecans and brown sugar.  Cover the pan and cook the chops another 4-8 minutes.  Serve the chops with the apples and cooking juices on top. 



I served it with Frank's favorite side dish...lima beans!  I swear, he'd eat them several nights a week if I'd cook them!  I just put a small bag of frozen lima beans in a stockpot and cook them in 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 clove of garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper.  Boil them about 40 minutes or until tender. 

His second plate!

2 comments:

  1. Now THIS is my kind of recipe. 5 ingredients, 4 of which I have on hand 90% of the time. We will be trying this next week. And maybe if I doctored my limas that much Jason would like them more. I'll give that a go too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm, I'll have to give this one a try.

    And I'm with Tiff on the limas---holy cow those sound good!

    ReplyDelete