Friday, August 19, 2011

Add a little "zest" to your meal!

This summer I have grown to love lemons!  Actually, I discovered that I loved the lemon zest more than the lemon itself.  It all started with a simple trip to the grocery store.  I sent Frank to the store earlier in the summer and I put lemons on the list.  Rather than buy 1 or 2 (which is probably what I meant to write on the list and didn't) he bought an entire bag!  Yup, he brought home about 10-12 lemons!  Then the fun began...what to do with all of these lemons?  Here are a few simple ways that I have added lemon to my weekly cooking:

1.  Cover the top of a 1.25 lb pork tenderloin with some McCormick's Montreal Steak Grillmates and the zest of 1/2 of a lemon.  Bake according to the package directions. 

2.   This is my own take on a chicken recipe I saw on TV:  Chicken breasts stuffed with Italian parsley, lemon zest, garlic, S & P, 1 piece of cheese (provolone or gouda works nice), and 1 piece of proscuitto.  Pan sear them on each side and then finish cooking in the oven. 

3.  Sautee 1 package of broccolini in 1 T of olive oil for about 4-5 minutes.  Add 1 clove of minced garlic and the juice of 1/2 a lemon.  Cook for 1 minute and then serve. 

*This next one is a wink and a nod to the queen of dipping sauces, Melissa*   ;-)
4.  A simple aioli:  In a small bowl combine some mayo, 1 clove of garlic, fresh cilantro, dash of salt & pepper, some lemon zest, and then some lemon juice. 

2 comments: