Monday, November 11, 2013

Comfort Food

The Fall has me craving comfort food.  What makes you feel better than a good ole family recipe on a cool Fall night?  I have been steadily cooking since I went away to college.  Last week I found my old recipe box my Mom helped me start as a freshman in college.  In there I found this gem:
  
Sausage, Red Beans, and Rice  

I love that this is a family recipe.  What I love the about it most of all: It is written in her handwriting on a scrap piece of paper.  :)  I can honestly say that I haven't made this in years, but it tastes just as good I remember!  This is quickly going in our regular rotation of one pot meals.  I promise you it is better than anything you will find in the box!  

Here's what you need to make it:
1 pound sausage (I used Jimmy Dean reduced fat, but any kind will do)
1 package Polksa Keilbasa sausage
1 onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1 T olive oil
1 can (14 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano (I used Italian seasoning since I didn't have oregano)
1/4 tsp black pepper

Cook the sausage until brown and drain the fat.  Cook the kielbasa until cooked through.  In a large dutch heat the olive oil and then  cook the bell pepper and onion for 2-3 minutes.  Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute.  Throw in the uncooked rice and cook for 2-3 minutes (until it looks "toasty").   Next add the beef broth, sausage, kielbasa, and seasonings to the rice mixture.  Bring this mixture to a boil.  Once boiling turn down the heat to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes (or until the rice is cooked through).  Add the kidney beans during the last 5 minutes.  Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving. 

Thanks Mom!
Love, 
Mamby

2 comments:

  1. My Mom emailed me and said you can also add chopped celery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, My! I MUST try this very soon--especially since we are having such unseasonably COLD (brrr...) weather!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete